This hearty beef curry with potato and carrot has a delicious sauce no-one will be able to resist.
The ingredient of Japanese beef curry recipe
- 20g butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1kg chuck beef steak, cut into 3-4cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons madras curry powder
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 3 potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 green apple, cored, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Steamed sushi rice, to serve
- Toasted sesame seeds, to sprinkle (optional)
- Quick vegetable pickle, to serve (optional, see notes)
The instruction how to make Japanese beef curry recipe
- Heat the oil and the butter in a large casserole dish over high heat. Season the beef and cook, in 2-3 batches, for 5 minutes each batch or until browned. Use tongs to transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the onion to the dish and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in the curry powder.
- Increase the heat to high. Return the beef to the dish. Stir to combine. Sprinkle over the flour and stir well to coat. Add 750ml (3 cups) water and stir, scraping the bottom of the dish with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth. Add the potato, carrot and apple. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 2 hours or until the beef is very tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, Worcestershire, soy sauce and garam masala. Season. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Serve the curry with steamed rice and sprinkled with sesame seeds, if using. A quick pickle is a terrific condiment.
Nutritions of Japanese beef curry recipefatContent: