Give your classic Sunday roast a peppery twist with this recipe. The smoky barbecue relish adds a sweet touch to help balance the flavour.
The ingredient of Pepper-crusted roast beef with smoky barbecue relish recipe
- 2.7kg beef rump roast (see notes)
- 3 teaspoons crushed peppercorn medley (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic bulb, halved crossways
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 400g cherry truss tomatoes, cut into small bunches
- 300g portobello mushrooms
- 10g butter
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 red apple, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
The instruction how to make Pepper-crusted roast beef with smoky barbecue relish recipe
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Grease a large roasting pan. Place beef in centre of pan.
- Combine crushed peppercorns, mustard, rosemary, crushed garlic and half the oil in a small bowl. Season with salt. Rub mixture over beef. Roast for 1 hour.
- Add halved garlic, asparagus, tomatoes and mushrooms to pan. Drizzle vegetables with remaining oil. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes for medium-rare or until beef is cooked to your liking and vegetables are tender. Cover roast loosely with foil. Stand for 20 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, make smoky barbecue relish. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until relish is thick.
- Slice beef. Serve with roasted vegetables and barbecue relish.
Nutritions of Pepper-crusted roast beef with smoky barbecue relish recipecalories: 598.695 calories
calories: 27.5 grams fat
calories: 9 grams saturated fat
calories: 15.7 grams carbohydrates
calories: 70.8 grams protein
calories: 211 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 318 milligrams sodium