Create your own spicy family meat pie with this delicious recipe created by Rose Adam, from MasterChef Australia Series 7.
The ingredient of Spicy beef and lentil pie
- 250g unsalted butter
- 500g flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 80ml iced water
- 110g dried green lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150g middle bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, finely chopped
- 150g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 400g Coles Australian 4 Star Beef Mince
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Coles Brand Australian free range egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, toasted
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted
The instruction how to make Spicy beef and lentil pie
- Pre-heat oven to 200C.
- For the pastry, combine butter, flour and salt in a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks one at a time and water, processing until dough just comes together.
- Take two-thirds of the pastry and roll in on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick. This will be for the bases. Roll the remaining pastry to 2mm thick for the pie tops. Place both pieces of pastry on baking trays lined with baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Remove the pastry for the bases from the fridge. Cut 4 circles large enough to line the bases of 4 x 10cm loose based pie tins. Line tins with pastry. Place baking paper on top of the pastry and fill with baking beans. Bake the pastry for 20 mins. Remove from oven, remove beans and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, cook the lentils in a pan of boiling water for 20 mins or until almost cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon, onion, garlic, carrot, fennel and mushrooms. Cook for 5 mins or until softened. Add cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring for 2 mins. Add the mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, breaking up any lumps, for 5 mins or until browned. Add stock, lentils, pepper, lemon zest and parsley. Simmer for 20 mins or until liquid has been absorbed, but mixture is not dry. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 220u00b0C. Spoon mixture into the prepared pie cases. Cut out 4 circles, from remaining pastry, large enough to cover the pies. Place over pie filling, pressing edges to seal. Brush with egg and sprinkle the sesame seeds. Bake pies for 15 mins or until the pastry is golden.
- For the sauce, mix together yoghurt, parsley, lemon zest, coriander and cumin. Serve pies with a dollop of sauce.
Nutritions of Spicy beef and lentil piefatContent: